Wednesday, May 4, 2016

Some Like 'em Thick. Yes, Really.

Hey y'all! It's been a great week; been getting a lot of things done and trying to make some moves. Being productive is awesome. :)

So anyway...the other day when I was at my night job, a lady I was helping at the front desk asked me if I was a writer after she saw my handwriting. When I said yes, she asked what I wrote, and when I replied that I wrote fiction novels, she asked for the names of them.

Here comes the automatic smirk.

The first book I put out was in 2008 and the title is one that always brings chuckles, confusion, or questions (or a mix of all three). And the first question they almost always ask is "What in the world...what does that mean??"

Some Like 'em Thick.

Most people think it's some kind of sexual reference. It's not, but I get it. Especially since the cover is a picture of a red-lipped woman pushing a bunch of peppermints into her mouth. My mother considers this risqué.



The picture was one I chose after looking through literally hundreds of photos, and I figured it would draw attention (and it does). But the title is nothing sexual at all. It doesn't have anything to do with a certain part of the male anatomy, which is most people's guess.

The 'thick' is referring to woman's physiques.

I actually thought of the title before I thought of anything else. I don't remember what was doing or if anything in particular triggered it, but I remember it just popping into my head and thinking, "Hmm...that would make a great book title." Then the storyline just formed all on it's own after that.

The book centers around three women; Oasis, a sharp-tongued vegan who secretly considers lipo...Salvatrice, an insecure divorcee who has not been able to lose all the weight she gained during her marriage despite all the diets and weight loss gadgets she's tried...and Irie, the eccentric who is liable to say (and eat) anything and is afraid of spending the rest of her life alone.

The story deals with their various struggles stemming from their weight and how their issues are really self-inflicted and all in their heads. They're just fine the way they are, even if they do have cellulite or a little jiggle in their thighs. Self-esteem was their issue, not their weight.

It was pretty easy to relate to this seeing as how I had this very issue up until a few years ago. Heck, if I'm honest, I still have my moments. My body is far from perfect but the men seem to like the thickness...but more importantly, I like the thickness. Meat on my bones is a must; I have absolutely no desire to be skinny.

So yeah, that's where the title came from. And just like I figured it would, it got people talking. Mission accomplished.

So for all the folks that need to get their minds out of the gutter...LOL


I've got to get off of here so I can at least try to get to bed at a decent hour, for once. Until next week...

#loveandbooks

No comments:

Post a Comment